Venue: Fremont Public Library
When: May 1, 2019 - May 31, 2019
“What the Bridge Has Seen:” The Fremont Historical Society and the Fremont Branch Library are partnering in a display of photographs, stories, and maps which will focus on the changes in the Fremont neighborhood since the the Fremont Bridge opened in 1917. Included will be the history of B. F. Day School, the history and relocation of the Red Door building, the growth of maritime businesses since the opening of the Ship Canal, the options that were considered for the route of the Burke Gilman trail through Fremont, public artwork in Fremont, the story of the Bridge’s paint colors, and the development of the property along the canal from the days of a millwork company to the current Lake Union Center.
Saturday, May 11: Please join us for a reception from 11:00 a.m.to 12:00 p.m. and an opportunity to chat with Historical Society members about the display.
At 12:00 p.m., there will be a presentation by Matt Donahue, Manager, Roadway Structures, Seattle Department of Transportation, on the Fremont Bridge, the experiences of those who worked on the construction of the bridge, the work of bridge tenders, and the creative work of Artists in Residence who have used the northwest tower of the Fremont Bridge as a studio during past summers.
Light refreshments will be served. Free.